Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Open Statement of Gov. Migs Dominguez

The Valentine Palamine Command of the New People's Army (NPA) recently hurled charges against me for my alleged participation and role in the ongoing clashes between government soldiers and the Moro Islamic Liberation Front in the hinterlands of Maasim and nearby towns.

Much as I wanted to answer every point the Valentin Palamine Command has raised against me, prudence dictates that it is not in the best interest of the people of Sarangani that I engage myself in a debate with them in the local and national media.

Let me put this in record, I will never allow myself to be used in deceiving, intimidating and, much more, violating the human rights of the people of Sarangani. My people can attest to this.

What happened in Maasim last August 18 is a known fact that innocent civilians were killed and private properties were lost when the MILF treacherously attacked the town.

I cannot in conscience allow such deplorable acts to ever happen again. Thus, my government will do everything in its capacity to protect our people and give justice to the innocent civilians who were brutally executed.

That said, I want to put a close to this issue.

My lines will always remain open to everybody just as I am always accessible to residents in the province.

I want peace to reign in the province. But peace must be based on justice and mutual respect for each other's beliefs.

We will continue to seek lasting peace with honor and justice for my people.

(Sgd) MIGUEL RENE A. DOMINGUEZ
Governor

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your determination in maintaining PEACE in Sarangani Province! On August 3, 2008, I (together with my german husband and our 13 years old son), visited my relatives in Maasim. That was the first time that I travel with my family there because of security reason. We only stayed in Maasim for about 4 hours, since there were already humors that armed men were seen in the environment. On August 18, 2008, we were very tired from our flight from Auckland to Singapore that we badly need to rest. At 4 a.m., I received a text from my sister, informing me that Maasim was attacked by the MILF. My husband only said, "It's a pity, the whole Sarangani Province is such a beautiful place".

Anonymous said...

Correction: humors = rumors

SARANGANI ADVOCATE said...

Thanks for the thoughts you shared in this blog. Yes, Sarangani is truly a nice province. I have worked there for five years and have traveled in most far flung communities all over the five municipalities. It is even harder for me to believe that the recent attacks by the MILF happened.It is just so inhumane!

Unknown said...

I salute to Gov. Migs Dominguez, for his bravery and willingness to serve the people of Sarangani, though I heard nice feedback from him since my father is also active in political movement in J.P. Laurel, Malungon... I am really excited to visit my beloved province next month. More Power to you Gov... keep it up, it's really nice to hear.. about the boost of tourism... which is ignored by the Chiongbians before.

Anonymous said...

It's so unfair for the NPA to accuse Governor Dominguez and what they are saying is simply unbelievable. As far as I can see, the governor is doing his best for the good of his people. The truth is, it is a relief that some local leader is actually doing his best to make his province a safe haven for its residents and visitors too.
Thanks Governor, I had a lovely time in your place without actually fearing that I might end up getting hurt or something